My Journey
"Beauty for Ashes"
Monday, July 26, 2010
Ain't No Pie Like An Aussie Meat Pie
I had a really bad hankering for Australian meat pies a couple of days ago and decided that I wanted to try making my own – in the middle of the night. So, I surfed the Internet for some recipes and found a couple that sounded pretty decent and doable. However, not knowing which one was better than the other I thought I would just try mixing both recipes together. Not a good idea. Whoever decided to put dried oregano and ketchup in their meat pie was obviously not Australian!!! My meat ended up tasting more like spaghetti sauce rather than the full, beefy-flavored, meat filling that I was used to. Oh well. Trial and error, I suppose. I had enough meat and ready-to-bake pie crust to make two pies and the other one is still sitting in the freezer. What saved it was of course, the tomato sauce (what the Aussies call ketchup) I put on top of the pie as I ate it with somewhat of a confused palate. It tasted like a bolognese sauce, beef pie that was trying to be an Aussie meat pie. Suffice it to say, the taste was enough to take the edge off of my craving, while simultaneously making it worse. The whole experience just taught me that you can NEVER take the meat pie out of Australia! Although of course, now that I know that it’s not impossible to at least attempt it, I’ll probably try to make it again the next time I have my meat pie craving. Or maybe a sausage roll…. Hmm….
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment